[mythtv-users] Problems after 0.24 upgrade

Keith Pyle kpyle at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 28 18:03:01 UTC 2011

On 12/28/11 06:00, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/27/2011 02:50 PM, Keith Pyle wrote:
>> > I've seen some minor problems since upgrading from 0.21 to 0.24 and
>> > would appreciate any suggestions for resolving them.
>> > --- Problem 2: Mute does not work in mythfrontend.  The "Mute on" banner
>> > pops up in response to a mute key (keyboard or remote), but sound does
>> > not mute.  This happens on both a frontend with HDMI video/audio to the
>> > television and on a frontend instance running on a Linux desktop with
>> > integrated audio, so it doesn't seem hardware specific.  On both
>> > frontend instances, sound can be muted via alsamixer.  For the desktop
>> > instance, the settings are:
>> >
>> >      Audio output device: ALSA:default
>> >      Mixer device: /dev/mixer
>> >      Mixer controls: PCM
> /dev/mixer is OSS
>
> Change mixer device to "default" (no quotes) or output device to /dev/dsp
>
>> > --- Problem 3: Preview images are blank/black in mythweb on the
>> > "recorded" page, but appear normally in mythfrontend.  If I extract one
>> > of the image URL's from the page source and try to load it individually,
>> > the HTTP response headers are:
>> >
>> > Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 19:41:53 GMT
>> > Server: Apache
>> > Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
>> > Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
>> > Pragma: no-cache
>> >
>> > 200 OK
>> >
>> > Yet, the preview image file does exist and mythfrontend shows the image.
> Sounds like you have corrupt seek tables (something about them changed
> between 0.21 and 0.23), so they need to be rebuilt.  Existing preview
> images (those created by 0.21-fixes) work fine, and new recording seek
> tables are good for 0.24-fixes, but when 0.24-fixes tries to create a
> large-image preview of an old recording for MythWeb, it fails.
>
> You'll want to do http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Repairing_the_Seektable on
> each recording...  You can do that easily enough with a script and much
> patience while it runs.
Mike - thanks for the reply.  Here's a status update.

Problem 2: Changing "Mixer device" to "ALSA:default" did fix the mute
failure on both frontend systems, as you suggested.

Problem 3: The MythWeb preview image problem turned out to be a php
configuration issue.  In the course of upgrading Apache and php, the
option to allow fopen for URL's was turned off and I missed it.  On
Gentoo with Apache 2.2 and php 5.3, I had to change
/etc/php/apache2-php5.3/php.ini to have:

allow_url_fopen = On

This allowed the preview images to be generated and display properly on
the MythWeb recorded page. (The names changed from *.mpg.100x75.png to
*.mpg.-1.100x75.png, but that seems irrelevant.)

I'm still looking for a solution to Problem 1: "Error: GetPlaybackURL:
...", although this doesn't seem to be causing obvious problems.

Keith