[mythtv-users] Are Apple's Keyboard & Track Pad good options?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Dec 28 08:42:07 UTC 2011

Andrew Hughes wrote:

>- No delete key (on the mini keyboard), only backspace (even if
>apple label the key 'delete' its still backspace). It's probably
>very common to map ui actions in iOS to this key, but in linux apps
>this doesn't appear to be the case, its common to use the delete key.
>- No home/end keys (on the mini keyboard).

Common myths about Apple keyboards. Their laptop keyboards are the same.

Delete is Fn-Backspace
Enter is Fn-Return
Page up/down are Fn-Up/Down
Home/End are Fn-Left/Right

The main difference is that on my laptop the keys are labelled (or at
least the return and cursor keys are) with these second functions.
Looking at the images, it seems the current wireless keyboards don't
have these second labels.

Now, I don't know how much is done in the driver and how much in the
keyboard itself, I know the Fn-<key> stuff works in Windows under
Boot Camp (using a colleagues the other week) and Parallels. It's
possible that in an "unsupported" OS you may have to do your own
custom mapping.

More irritating to me is the way they resolutely keep the UK English
key layout different from the UK English layout used by virtually
every other manufacturer - but you soon learn to ignore the key
labels and touch the right keys - the most well known difference is
swapping @ and ", but other keys are "wrong" in other OS's.

--
Simon Hobson