[mythtv-users] Tips for sound in xubuntu?

M D weworama at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 17:57:05 UTC 2011

I solved my problem on my system too (with a bit of help....a lot
actually, from family member who was at home for the holiday)

The short version is to modify
/etc/default/pulse
to allow module loading

To quote that file...
# Prevent users from dynamically loading modules into the PulseAudio sound
# server. Dynamic module loading enhances the flexibility of the PulseAudio
# system, but may pose a security risk.
# 0 = no, 1 = yes

I changed the default 1to 0 to read
DISALLOW_MODULE_LOADING=0

For the time being I will accept that potential risk while I explore further.

The longer version--I did have the pavucontrol (it did not seem to be
able to fix the problem), pavumeter (which did not show output), as
well as kmix, alsamixer and jack controls, but was missing a pulse
module for jack.  Jack does seem to allow some configuration of
connections and which I will continue to explore to see if I can get a
more elegant and possibly a more secure fix.

That command would indeed remove pulse (which may well be duplicating
other sound server programs on my system, but....pulse is currently
used by my Mythtv).   I am not too sure that removal would not create
other problems as linux is a tangled web, and things I
removed/disabled a year ago when we got this system running (then
using the 2.6.39 kernel) are now coming back to haunt me as the
software advances to use the changes in the more recent kernels and
other supporting software.  I am not totally sure exactly how my
precompiled version uses this software and I don't want to break the
"magic" as the TV viewers in the family might get a bit upset as there
is no alternate.