[mythtv-users] Trimslice ARM PC

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Dec 27 16:10:43 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 09:00:25PM -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 12/25/2011 20:05, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> > Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  says:
> >> There are very real limitations on such hardware in terms of
> >> performance and expansion, that makes them unsuitable for many, if
> >> not most, MythTV setups.  To an inexperienced user, they would be a
> >> bad recommendation for hardware to purchase.
> > Someone new to MythTV who is intrigued by the notion of having "a free
> > TiVo" is probably willing to spend no more than a few hundred dollars
> > to experiment. (And, no, most people--even Linux people--don't have a
> > closet full of Myth-ready hardware ready to go.) Sadly, the $200 Revos
> > are no longer sold new, but For $375 a new user can buy an Revo,
> > IdeaCentre, or another Atom-based box; USB tuner; and indoor
> > antenna.
>
> So why do you need to buy an Atom to make that happen?  $180 on Newegg
> gets you a 3GHz dual core AMD, 4GB of memory, MicroATX board, case, 300W
> power supply, and GT210 video card.  It's not going to be pretty, but
> it's cheap, powerful, relatively efficient, and has several expansion

    You don't need to buy a new box for that. Just put a new video card
into a really old PC. You can even end up with something much better than
the nv210 with less extra money spent.

    It's a good idea in general to get your feet wet with something that
you might not be comfortable deploying in your living room. You can just
add a suitable GPU to your desktop box to see if it will handle what you
need it to.

    I did that myself as soon as VDPAU support was announced.

    You can make up your own mind about these issues without spending a
lot of money to do it.