[mythtv-users] Is it possible run myth frontend in a window?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 22:10:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Alex Tomlins <alex at tomlins.org.uk> wrote:

> On 26/12/11 21:17, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> > As the subject asks, is it possible run myth frontend in a window? I'd
> > like to run mythtv like I ran other tv programs in a window along side
> > while I am using my web browser. In a window that is set to always
> > ontop.
>
> Yes it is.  Go into Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Appearance  Set the Gui
> width and height to the window size you want.  Tick 'Use window border',
> and probably 'Use GUI size for TV playback'.  I've always used the fixed
> window size option.  One other thing to note, the Monitor aspect ratio
> option still refers to the whole monitor, and not to the aspect ratio of
> your window (took me a while to track that one down).
>
> As for keeping it on top, that's something that I think would have to be
> handled by your window manager. (in XFCE, you can right-click on the
> title bar, and select 'Always on Top')
>
> thanks,
> Alex

If you launch mythfrontend from a terminal you can use the -w option to
open it in a resizeable window, or specify the fixed resolution with the
-geometry option. I have a batch file in Windows (sorry!) that has the line
mythfrontend.exe" -geometry 1280x1024 and when it launches I use
Windows-shift-Left arrow to banish it to my second monitor.