[mythtv-users] trouble fetching schedule data

Steven Doerfler sgd-mythtv-users at lugaru.com
Sun Dec 25 14:11:37 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 7:59 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> At 10:49 PM -0500 12/21/11, Steven Doerfler wrote:
>> I entered my name and password for SchedulesDirect into MythTV-Setup and
>> clicked Retrieve Lineups.  The screen flashed for a moment, but I
>> couldn't see what it said.  I clicked it a few times trying to read the
>> message, and then a message box appeared appeared and stayed.
> I've had this behavior.  Do you have wget installed?

I had wget installed in /usr/local/bin, but now I see there was an error
message in my MythBackend.log saying wget wasn't found.  Seems like it's
found when I run MythFillDatabase manually from a command prompt, but
not when the backend (invoked from its icon, or via launchd) runs it.

It appears the issue is that when you run a Mac application via its
icon, it gets a very basic PATH setting that doesn't include the various
paths defined in /etc/paths, such as /usr/local/bin.  I symlinked wget
to /usr/bin, and that seems to have fixed the problem for me.

I'm guessing this was also why my channels weren't configured
automatically when I ran MythTV-Setup (from its icon).  It probably
couldn't find wget to download the channel info from SchedulesDirect.
Had I run the setup program from a command prompt instead, it would have
gotten a path including /usr/local/bin and I wouldn't have had to
manually enter all the xmltvid codes.

Perhaps this is a minor glitch in
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X .  That page provides a
link for installing wget that leads to instructions that say to put it
in /usr/local/bin -- but using that location makes things fail, at least
on my OS X 10.7 system, when you use the icons to start the MythTV
programs.  Maybe the page should say to ensure wget is installed in
/usr/bin?

Thanks for your help!

Steven