[mythtv-users] How to control database settings from config.xml

Göran Uddeborg goeran at uddeborg.se
Fri Dec 23 22:15:55 UTC 2011

Per Hatlevik:
> > QMYSQL: Unable to connect
> > Database error was:
> > Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
>
> this seems like a problem to me. shouldn't the mythtv user be using a
> password in mysql (default to mythtv)?

Exactly.  The problem is that mythfrontend doesn't get the login
information from config.xml.  It does find it in mysql.txt, but there
is a character encoding issue when it looks for it.  My home directory
contains a UTF-8 o-diaeresis, but mysql.txt is looked up with a
Latin-1 o-diaeresis instead.  That was the original issue I reported.

Michael T. Dean suggested I should use config.xml instead of
mysql.txt, but I can't get that to work.

When I add a soft link so mythfrontend can find the mysql.txt file
under the mangled path, everything works as expected.

> you can always use the mysql client to test database connectivity

I've done that.

  mysql -hpluto -umythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

works fine.  (From all hosts involved.)