[mythtv-users] How to control database settings from config.xml

Göran Uddeborg goeran at uddeborg.se
Fri Dec 23 22:10:02 UTC 2011

Michael T. Dean:
> On 12/22/2011 04:18 PM, Göran Uddeborg wrote:
> > Michael T. Dean:
> >> How many systems do you have (systems running mythbackend and systems
> >> running mythfrontend)?  Which system is this that's not connecting?
> > I have one dedicated "myth box" (host name "pluto").  It runs both the
> > only backend and a frontend.  It is equipped with a DVB receiver card,
> > and it displays on a traditional TV (CRT).  This machine does indeed
> > work fine.
> >
> > Now I'm trying to connect from two other machines (host names "mimmi"
> > and "freddi"); all purpose desktop machines.  These will only run the
> > frontend, and connect to the backend on the "myth box".

> You can't use 127.0.0.1 /anywhere/ in
> the MythTV configuration when you have more than one box (and, even when
> you have only one box, you shouldn't use 127.0.0.1).  Since you said
> your dedicated box still works, I'm assuming you changed both the "this
> server" IP address and the master backend IP address to use the routable
> address.

I believe I've changed all the occurrences.  And since it does work
when it can find mysql.txt, it doesn't seem to be a problem on that
level.

> > ================ config.xml ================
> > <Configuration>
> >    <UPnP>
> >      <UDN>
> >        <MediaRenderer>0a46441b-e51d-4236-a2ef-50266f06bb60</MediaRenderer>
> >      </UDN>
> >      <MythFrontend>
> >        <DefaultBackend>
> >          <SecurityPin>1265</SecurityPin>
> >          <DBHostName>pluto</DBHostName>
>
> Do you actually have host-name resolution set up on your internal
> network?

I do.  I've never been very good at remembering numbers! :-)

The mysql.txt file which does work also have the name, not the number.

> Does:
>
> dig pluto
>
> actually find the proper IP address?

If I add "+search", it does:

23:01 mimmi$ dig +search pluto

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1-RedHat-9.8.1-4.P1.fc16 <<>> +search pluto
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;pluto.uddeborg.                        IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
pluto.uddeborg.         86400   IN      A       172.17.0.5

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
uddeborg.               86400   IN      NS      mimmi.uddeborg.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
mimmi.uddeborg.         86400   IN      A       172.17.0.1

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Dec 23 23:01:42 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 84

> If not, change that to an IP address.

To test this, I changed to the IP address in config.xml, and tried
again.  But it didn't make any difference.  I still couldn't reach the
database, and I came to the configuration screen, without mysql.txt.

> > 2011-12-22 21:28:51.160 get_ip: Namn eller tjänst okänd
>
> I'm guessing this is saying it's unable to resolve the address for
> pluto, but my Swedish is, er, not very strong.  :)  (Actually, I'm
> guessing it's "Name or service not known" based solely on the "get_ip"
> prefix to the error.)

No problems with your Swedish, it seems! :-)  Though there is a
charset issue here too.  It should have been "Namn eller tjänst
okänd".

The log from mythfrontend was identical with the IP number as with the
name in the config.xml.  This "get_ip: Name or service unknown"
appears in that case too.

I'll create a report about Trolltech.conf after the holidays.