[mythtv-users] Is a BCM70015 worth it?

Tom Flair lists at graniteskies.net
Fri Dec 23 05:51:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:

> I have a Mid 2007 Mac Mini (2 GHZ Core 2 Duo + Intel GMA50) running
> Ubuntu 11.10. A few years ago I added a BCM70012 hoping to use it with
> mythtv. Well the "012" support never panned out, and I'm now wondering
> if its worth replacing it with a "015". I see some advertised starting
> at $40.
>
> Is it worth syncing another $40 into this? Are there any gotcha's on
> version?

I've been using the card on an AM2+ board with integrated ATI HD3200
graphics.  The only problem I've had with the card is when I hit fast
forward or rewind repeatedly, it can take a few seconds for the buffers to
catch up. Leaving it to auto-skip commercials works fine though.

Lately though, I've switched to only using it when I'm playing back certain
bluray titles and sticking with CPU.