[mythtv-users] Status of blue ray playback on .24-fixes

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Dec 23 02:17:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>> Because of the size of blue ray media it's not something I want to store.
>
> Why not?  The m2ts on the average bluray is going to be 20-30GB.  While
> hard drive prices are currently artificially high, once they drop back
> down to more typical prices by the middle of next year, you're looking
> at less than $1/disc for storage.

20-30GB may not seem like a lot when you are talking about movies on a
hard drive in a HTPC. However, consider that now a lot of people are
watching movies on tablets, and suddenly your are talking about only
being able to store 1 or 2 movies on your tablet. If your tablet
happens to have an SD slot (even the ipad 2 doesn't), then you can
swap out cards, but you are currently talking about a $30+ card per
movie you want to take with you. To further compound the problem, not
all tablets are capable of playing full bitrate bluray rips. And even
if it can, full bitrate is going to be a lot more demanding on the
cpu/gpu, and you are likely going to get less runtime out of the
battery.

--
Ron Frazier