[mythtv-users] tuner priorities

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 22 21:51:16 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 04:34 PM, Tim Draper wrote:
> i have DVB-T, and DVB-S2 tuners in my BE.
> the DVB-T is fairly poor signal with intermittent blocking so my
> preference is to use the DVB-S2 tuners if at all possible.
>
> both the DVB-T and DVB-S2 have overlapping channels (eg: BBC One), and
> i have both inputs allowing all channels.
>
> i have set tuner priority of the DVB-T as -2. (DVB-S2 is 0)
> i have also enabled 'avoid conflicts' in the FE settings.
>
> when i watch liveTV, it will default to the DVB-T input, which is not
> desired behaviour.
> the DVB-T tuner should only be used when a channel is only available
> on the DVB-T source, OR both DVB-S2 inputs are inuse.
>
> i think i've asked this before (or atleast seen another thread), but i
> cant find the info anymore. in the past i've configured it so DVB-T
> only channels are available on that source, but i cant remember if
> this was for convenience, or a technical reason.
>
> can this be done?

Input priorities ("tuner" priorities) are evil--they tell MythTV what to
record, not where to record it, so they don't do what people expect they
do.  Also, priority /never/ has any effect on capture card/input chosen
for Live TV.

Therefore, you probably shouldn't be using input priorities.  (Please
read all of http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html for details
on how priorities work.)

Instead, "Delete all capture cards" (won't affect channels--but will
reset everything so you can configure it correctly and without input
priorities), then re-create capture cards and re-connect inputs.

Create capture cards in the opposite order you want them used for Live
TV and make sure you keep "Avoid conflicts..." enabled.  (So, sounds
like you want to create the DVB-S2 cards first, then DVB-T cards.)

/Then/ connect inputs in the order you want them used for recordings.

And note that the capture card order need not be the same as the input
order...

And don't ever set any input priorities, again.

Mike