[mythtv-users] trouble fetching schedule data

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 22 04:42:52 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 10:49 PM, Steven Doerfler wrote:
> I'm trying to set up MythTV 0.24 on a Macmini running OS X 10.7.2 using
> an HDHR Dual box to get ATSC from an antenna.  I've having trouble
> getting US guide data working.
>
> After going through steps 1 and 2 in MythTV-Setup, I set up an account
> at SchedulesDirect, and tried to add it as a new video source.
>
> I entered my name and password for SchedulesDirect into MythTV-Setup and
> clicked Retrieve Lineups.  The screen flashed for a moment, but I
> couldn't see what it said.  I clicked it a few times trying to read the
> message, and then a message box appeared appeared and stayed.
>
> At that point I had a box that said "Fetching Lineups from Schedules
> Direct" and showed 50% finished.  It stayed like that.  Activity Monitor
> said the setup program was using 100% of CPU and not responding.
>
> I force-quit the setup program, and restarted it.  Now as soon as I
> enter my name/password on that screen and click Retrieve Lineups, I get
> the 50% finished message, and it's locked up.

I'm not exactly sure what might cause that, but I can say that
retrieving lineups works on my GNU/Linux-based machines.  I'm not saying
it's definitely a Mac OS X problem, but if you could somehow get a
GNU/Linux system to set up your Video Sources (which are global--not
host-specific--so could be done on any machine that can run
mythtv-setup), it may be much easier.

> I tried entering my user name and password, and skipping the Retrieve
> Lineups button so MythTV could save the data.  The setup program crashed
> when I tried to exit it (in mythDB::ClearSettingsCache) but it had saved
> my user/password for SchedulesDirect.
>
> Then I tried filling the database (several times).  I'm currently
> getting this when I run it manually:

> 2011-12-21 21:14:00.116 No channels are configured to use grabber.

It looks like your channels aren't configured.

> That's when I try to fill the database from a prompt. When I
> double-click MythFillDatabase in /Applications, the program starts
> taking 99% of CPU and never exits.  I have to force-quit it.
>
> When I start the front end, I can see live TV OK, but there are no
> channel names when switching channels, just codes like 4 3 instead of
> WTAE-DT.  The program guide shows channel names, but only "Unknown" for
> the programs.
>
> Other setup info: Under "Capture cards" I set up both tuners on the
> HDHR, selecting each tuner from the list. It figured out the IP address
> itself.  For "Input Connections", I set each capture device to use the
> video source I'd created, and used the "Scan for channels" option to
> find channels.  It found the ones I expected, and they appear in the
> drop-down list of available default channels on that page.  The option
> "Fetch channels from listings source" seems to do nothing when selected,
> though it's not disabled.
>
> I went to http://schedulesdirect.org/getdata, entered my login info, and
> got a page of XML schedule data that mentions my local stations.
>
> I couldn't find any log files.  None of the log files at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/General_Troubleshooting_Tips exist on my Mac,
> and I didn't see any MythTV-related logs in the Mac's Console log-viewer
> either.
>
> What could the problem be?  Thanks for any suggestions.

After you scanned for channels, did you set the xmltvid for the channels
found in the scan?

You may want to clear out the current configuration with the Video
Sources portion of
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 , then
re-create your Video Sources, re-connect inputs, then re-scan for
channels, then set xmltvid's.

Mike