[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 32bit - how much RAM can it use?

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon Dec 19 22:54:50 UTC 2011

On 11-12-18 11:03 AM, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> Hi-yas!
>
> I moved my workstation motherboard into my mythbox, so now the 32-bit OS has
> access to 8G ram.
> However it only "sees" 2.5G
>
> Is there some tweak I can do to this?  I expected it to use at least 4G.

As others have noted, running a PAE enabled 32-bit kernel
will give you a 36-bit physical address space.
I use that on multiple machines here to gain access to the full 8GB of RAM they
have.
Works great.

No single process can access more than 3GB of user mapped RAM,
but that's not an issue for mythtv.

And the kernel will still make use of all of the RAM for page ("disk") caching
and so forth.

Go for it.  Very simple change.  Very high WAF, very low effort.

Cheers