[mythtv-users] About Python & Perl

Michael Papet mpapet at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 19:09:07 UTC 2011

> > For what it's worth, in that specific case, neither
> the Perl nor the
> > Python bindings would provide much help.  Direct
> manipulation of the
> > channel tables is not something commonly done, so
> there are no helper
> > utilities or classes in either to make it easier to do
> so.
>
> I've looked at some of the tools that use the bindings and
> you still
> need to "use DBI;" correct? So that's not wrong. So the
> only thing, as
> you said, it would provide, is the credentials. That, of
> course, would
> be no small thing.

The channel table schema is not rocket science. There's a column to associate the channels with a tuner and the rest are just channel settings.  Use a SQL GUI to check it out.  SquirrelSQL is awesome for me.  The MySQL project has their own query browser that's good too.

Passing date in/out of the mythconverg database requires no Myth-specific Perl/Python hooks.  Note, I said myth specific.  "Use DBI;" and then a connection stanza and then a prepare statement, and then an execute, and then return results.