[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 32bit - how much RAM can it use?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Dec 18 17:14:24 UTC 2011

On 12/18/2011 11:03 AM, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> Hi-yas!
>
> I moved my workstation motherboard into my mythbox, so now the 32-bit OS has
> access to 8G ram.
> However it only "sees" 2.5G
>
> Is there some tweak I can do to this?  I expected it to use at least 4G.
>
> Guess I could update to 64bit Mythbuntu ... but the WAF would be low, since
> i reckon it would take at least a couple of days to sort it all out to back
> how it was (firmware for PCI cards, channel setup, etc.).

Try installing the new 64-bit system in parallel with the old one, on a
separate partition. That way, you can take your time setting it up and,
only once you're sure everything is working, delete the old system. Even
if you run into glitches, you'll be able to control when the downtime
occurs -- just reboot into the old 32-bit system whenever you want to
watch something or whenever recordings are scheduled.

--

Rod Smith
rodsmith at rodsbooks.com