[mythtv-users] Planning to rebuild Myth backend, just need database?

Michael Papet mpapet at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 17 15:55:58 UTC 2011

> I'm fairly sure that the only necessary step after the
> fresh rebuild of
> the OS and a fresh package install of Myth (assuming I
> configure the MySQL
> details the same as before) would be to shutdown Myth and
> restore the full
> MySQL backup.
>
> If I do that, the I would expect the following major bits
> to fall back
> into place:
> -- tuners
> -- listings/recording tasks
> -- links to recordings
> (I don't run as a FE on this host, so no real video/audio
> settings to manage)
>
> Since I have a few crontab items for additional
> SchedulesDirect and other
> maintenance tasks, I'll bring those over as well.
>
> Would someone please check me on this.  It seems to be
> the as-documented
> method so I'm hopeful that I haven't missed anything
> critical.
>
> TIA!

DRIVERS
Some need external drivers for their tuner devices.  Many don't but, some do.  Be sure there is a functioning driver for your distro release kernel version.

LIRC
Also, I got bit by a Debian LIRC issue where there wasn't a working driver for the stable kernel release. That was a long while ago in Linux kernel version time but a memorable gotcha for me.

As a gentle reminder if you are using LIRC, the hardware.conf might have changed a bit.

FILESYSTEM
Also, be aware, ext4 did/does(?) not have the same quality file system recovery tools as ext3.  This was another gotcha for me as some distros have moved onto ext4 with weak (at the time) recovery tools.  I haven't checked recently.

BACKEND/FRONTEND
If you have multiple front ends, all of them have to be close to the same version as your back end.