[mythtv-users] anyone using percona instead of mysql (stock)?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 15 19:11:26 UTC 2011

On 12/15/2011 09:33 AM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> I wonder if anyone is using Percona instead of the vanilla mysql for the
>> performance boost it's ExtraDB (InnoDB with performance enhancements)
>> implementation.
> Have you even tried using InnoDB in mysql with MythTV yet?  If not,
> I'd suggest that might be worth your time first.  Using InnoDB
> requires some config tweaking that is not generally done by the distro
> (and definitely not by Ubuntu in my experience) that will make the
> difference between unusably slow and blazingly fast.  Switching to
> percona will likely also require nearly identical config tweaking if
> you intend to use something InnoDB-based.
>
> I don't see any performance issues whatsoever with MySQL (stock) with
> appropriate configuration tweaks.  And I'm using ext4 with barriers
> turned ON for the underlying filesystem.  And my total database size
> is around 1GB.  Part of it I have changed to InnoDB (all the big
> tables), and the remainder is MyISAM.
>
> Of course, most people are not capable of being a DBA in their spare time. :)

Note, also, that MythTV will automatically switch to InnoDB, when
appropriate, and any user changes to the MythTV schema definition are
not supported by us.  Therefore, if you change to InnoDB, now, and,
later, when we switch to InnoDB (even if it's 3 or 5 years from now)
your database upgrade fails, you will be responsible for picking up the
pieces (or just starting over).  Thus Gavin's mention of being a DBA in
your spare time.

Also, IMHO, "performance enhancements" aren't worth a thing unless you
have (MySQL server) performance problems.  (And definitely aren't worth
the risk of breakage of years of recording history, etc. that could
occur at any time in the future--including times when you don't have
spare time to fix the issues)

Mike