[mythtv-users] Seeking Motherboard Advice

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 15 13:22:12 UTC 2011

Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote on Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 07:28:11PM -0500:
> On 12/14/2011 18:15, Kenneth Emerson wrote:
> > So, can I use the Intel graphics on this mobo for H.264 playback as
> > well as mpeg2 1080p files without stuttering?  Does the va-api support
> > within MythTV provide any GPU acceleration similar to VDPAU?
>
> MythTV 0.25 has added support for VAAPI... experimentally.  It works,
> but has gone through relatively little testing, and will not be as
> robust as the several-year-old support of VDPAU.  That said, a >3GHz i3
> or i5 should not need for hardware decoding, as it should have plenty of
> CPU power to handle just about anything you throw at it.
>
> There have been a couple discussions in the past about this.  The 2000
> and 3000 should have enough OpenGL power for MythTV's video rendering
> needs, but the drivers are lacking some of the convenience features of
> the nVidia ones, such as being able to force an EDID block for when the
> X server is started with the TV off.  I don't know what the status of
> HDMI audio is off hand.

Raymond, do you have any first-hand experience with OpenGL on Intel's
HD Graphics/2000/3000? I wrote about my experience using OpenGL on an
i3-540 here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/487654#487654. In
short, it was unusable. It was fine with xv-blit, but its scaling of
the OSD to the source material was a deal breaker for me, so I ended
up adding an nvidia card. I don't think I've seen any positive reports
about OpenGL on HD Graphics, although it's certainly possible that
there have been some and I've just missed them.