[mythtv-users] Install Mythbuntu with RAID 1 (Software)

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 09:00:43 UTC 2011

> Well, the setup i have are 2 x  1 TB Hdd.
> And i wanted to mirror 1 to the other.
> So i would end up having the OS and the recordings on the same hdds.
> I would use different partitions if that does work with RAID.
>
> After all if i get a third hdd for the os i might end up with an
> unfunctional system if the OS HDD  crashes.

If that is what you are desiring then go buy a small SSD card for the OS
(or two - or two old small 40GB drives).

RAID1 requires both drives to write the same information to both discs,
which means you get zero performance benefit on write compared to a single
drive and Myth requires write performance.

When reading RAID 1 also needs to read from both drives and compare the two
sets of data to ensure that they are the same and not corrupted... again
little or no performance gain.

In effect you have a redundant system with the performance of 1 drive being
used for OS and recordings and the collective experience and advice of
almost everyone on this list is - don't share the same drives for OS and
recordings...