[mythtv-users] CableCard surprise

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 00:35:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 12:03:37AM -0500, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > > FYI, when I first tried the 888-553-1555 number reported by my FIOS
> > > cable card, I spent 30-40 minutes on hold before I got to a human only
> > > to find out that was the billing department.
> >
> > Turned out my card had the same phone number, and I called it up after
> the
> > wife and kids went to sleep.  I called around 10:45pm, and a tech picked
> up
> > around 11:10pm.  After he verified that the selfinstall page gave him the
> > same error it was giving me, he worked in silence for a while, then took
> my
> > host id and data numbers.  He put me on hold a few times, finally
> verified
> > my phone number and told me he'd call me back in 20 minutes.  About 15
> > minutes later he called back, I refreshed the Prime status page, and it
> was
> > activated.  I tried to ask him what the problem was, but he didn't go
> into
> > detail except to say it was an "epic quest" involved re-inputting a bunch
> > of data into their system.  A little over an hour from start to finish,
> but
> > it's working, yay.
> >
> > He also told me he had no idea why they sent me the digital adapters and
> > that I could just send them back or take them into a Verizon store.
>
> Glad you got it working.  FYI, if you ever need to reauthorize your
> card, you can sometimes do it without the need of a tech as long as
> your numbers haven't changed.  When you get to the television section
> of the automated phone support, say "cable card".  It will then give
> you an option to send the appropriate reset message to your card.

Thanks David.  I hope I'll never need to use that information.  :)

As a followup, once I got the card activated/authorized, actually
integrating it into my Myth setup was trivial.  15 minutes and I was up and
running.  Thanks to all the devs for making it so easy, and to the
contributors to the Myth wiki page on setting up the Prime.

-Jerry