[mythtv-users] Last MythTV Gentoo ebuild (20111129) having buffer issues?

jk90090 jk90090 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 20:41:06 UTC 2011

On 12/8/11 9:57 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 12/8/2011 23:11, jk90090 wrote:
>> I've narrowed down my playback issues now to Transcoded recordings.  Any
>> recording that isn't transcoded is playing back perfectly (720p, 1080i
>> both smooth as silk), and it's pretty much for all transcoded content,
>> so simply newly transcoded recordings.  Anyone have any ideas?
> How are you transcoding these?
> ________________________________
Ticking the 'transcode' option for the recording schedule, either with
Medium Quality or Low Quality

The settings I use are:  (Advanced -> TV Settings -> Recording Profiles
-> Transcoders -> ..)
     Media Quality - Resize video while transcoding, 1280x720, MPEG4,
2200 Bitrate, Max Qual 2, Min Qual 15, Max qual diff between frames 3,
Scale bitrate for frame size, Enable High-quality encoding, Enable 4MV
encoding; MP3 audio, 32000 sampling rate, qual 7, volume 90%
     Low Quality - Resize video while transcoding, 960x540, MPEG4, 2200
Bitrate, Max Qual 2, Min Qual 15, Max qual diff between frames 3, Scale
bitrate for frame size, Enable High-quality encoding, Enable 4MV
encoding; MP3 audio, 32000 sampling rate, qual 5, volume 90%

As a side likely unrelated note, in the past I usually used High Quality
(RTjpeg, qual 170; MP3 audio, qual 7), and it worked for years until an
update in the past 6 months completely broke it, and required, oddly,
for me to go back into the settings and just hit next and finish
(effectively re-saving the setting for HQ).  It still never worked like
it had in the past however, and I had started using Medium and Low Qual
Transcode more often anyways so I didn't look into it further.

No difference in playback between the Medium and Low Qual transcoded
recordings, still stuttering video with audio cutout generally, 720p or
1080i.  Eventually (seconds) the playback gives up and exits. It looks
like I had one recent recording that was transcoded with High Quality,
and it is playing back fine.

I am usinga Frontend with VPDAU high quality playback (and I have tried
without using VPDAU with no different results), and CPU usage for the
system is single digits generally when doing playback.  Dual Core i5 I
think, 6 GB memory.

-Shelby