[mythtv-users] How to make the LIRC_DEVICE static in Fedora 16

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 05:45:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Boleslaw Ciesielski
<bc-mythtv at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 12/07/2011 11:55 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>>> What do you mean it didn't help? You do not get the symlink? I have
>>> this in the udev rules file:
>>>
>>> KERNEL=="event[0-9]", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{name}=="i2c IR (Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350", SYMLINK+="hauppauge-ir"
>>>
>>> and it works fine.
>>>
>>> Also, in case of PVR-x50 you need to have an executable
>>> something.modules file in /etc/sysconfig/modules with this in it:
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> modprobe ir-kbd-i2c
>>>

>> This was the symlink I put in per the wiki:
>> ln -fs /dev/input/`cat /proc/bus/input/devices|grep -A 3
>> "Hauppauge"|grep event|cut -d ' ' -f3` /dev/input/remote
>>
>> which created this symlink: remote -> /dev/input/
>> in this directory: /dev/input
>
> This seems wrong. The symlink should point to /dev/input/eventX, not to
> /dev/input.
>
> Try the udev rule. Create a file in /etc/udev/rules.d/ with .rules
> extension and put the above line in it. Then reboot. It should create
> symlink like this
>
> /dev/hauppauge-ir -> /dev/input/eventX

Thanks for the advice.  I created the udev rule that you recommended
called 20-pvr.rules and already had a file in /etc/sysconfig/modules
called ir.modules with that exact syntaxt.

On reboot, I do not get a symlink in /dev like you do.  The remote
happened to work because I assume I got lucky and the remote was on
/dev/input/event6, which is what I had in /etc/sysconfig/lirc, but I
still would like to get this fixed for real.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks