[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime vs Hauppauge DCR-2650

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Fri Dec 9 02:09:30 UTC 2011

This past week Comcast moved several channels from analog to digital.
Four of those channels combined carry probably 80% of what I record.

So I'm thinking about one or two CableCards and new hardware.  At this
point that most likely means either the HDHomeRun Prime or the Hauppauge
DCR-2650.  The former is $100 more than the latter, and since I'm only
thinking of one or two CableCards, the third tuner doesn't really
matter.  Besides, my dual hvr-1600's are still working just fine, it's
just that the channels have moved.

Assuming I have ClearQAM capacity to spare, and only plan one or two
CableCards, is there any reason not to go for the DCR-2650?  From what I
can tell, the instructions make it sound essentially like the HDHomeRun
Prime in terms of setup.

As a secondary fear, I'm wondering what the adventures of getting a
CableCard will be like in the Burlington, Vt area, whether there will be
CCI problems, etc.  Though from what I've read here, it sounds like
Comcast has proven to be good to work with.

Thanks for any info,
Dale