[mythtv-users] CableCard surprise

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 14:51:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> > My guess is that Verizon uses switched digital video, which would
> > require you to use a tuning adapter hooked up to your system so that
> > your Prime/Ceton can properly tune channels. That said, looking at the
> > pics of a DCT-700 online, that does not appear to have any USB
> > connections. My guess is that someone screwed up and sent you a
> > digital adapter instead of a tuning adapter.
> >
> > Once you properly get a tuning adapter, I'm fairly certain the FCC
> > rules say that they can't charge you extra for them.
> >
> > --
> > Ron Frazier
>
> I don't recall which CC device you have, but it is also worth
> mentioning that the Ceton does not support tuning adapters under linux
> at this time.

I have a brand new HDHR Prime, as yet unused.  I tried to activate the
M-Card last night via Verizon's site, but it said it was unable to.  I then
tried a chat support session, but the person there was unable to as well,
and ended up telling me to call when their tech support department was
open. The Prime has no problem seeing the card and displaying its stats.

I hope the adapter isn't required.  It would be nice not to have another
device in the loop.  Anyone else in eastern Pennsylvania with FIOS know the
answer for our area?

-Jerry