[mythtv-users] mythtvosd mythmessage on the 0.24 line

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 7 17:03:46 UTC 2011

On 12/07/2011 06:44 AM, Ben Hardill wrote:
> What are people using now mythvosd doesn't work with the 0.24 line any
> more and there is no mythmessage?
>
> I've looked at the src for mythmessage in the 0.25 line and tried to
> hack up a simple python version to test with on 0.24 and I'm still not
> getting anything up on screen.
>
> Has anybody got a solution to putting messages up on screen with the
> latest 0.24 builds?
>
> My python attempt:
>
> import socket
>
> MESSAGE='<mythmessage version="1"><text>HelloWorld</text></mythmessage>'
>
> sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM, socket.IPPROTO_UDP)
> sock.setsockopt(socket.IPPROTO_IP, socket.IP_MULTICAST_TTL, 2)
>

> sock.sendto (MESSAGE, ('',6948))

The problem in 0.24-fixes isn't that mythtvosd stopped working, but that
mythfrontend lacks support for receiving/processing/displaying the
information sent by mythtvosd

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/465983#465983

If you really need to display custom messages on mythfrontend screens,
you'll need to either wait for 0.25 or run unstable/development code
(and do all the homework that entails).

Mike