[mythtv-users] Scanning For ClearQAM on Hauppauge HVR950Q

Andrew McCauley ajmccauley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 16:50:16 UTC 2011

>> Hi list,
>>
>> I am having some difficulty setting up my first mythtv setup.  Live in
>> the Dallas, TX area and have Time Warner basic cable.  I am building a
>> combined fe/be running mythbuntu 10.10/ mythtv .24-fixes. My goal is
>> to have a two tuner setup with one tuner for ota and one for clearqam.
>>
>> Relavent hardware:
>> Intel I3 CPU
>> ASUS GT430 GPU
>> Hauppauge hvr 950q (Auvitek AU8522 chipset)
>> Hauppauge hvr 1600 (not setup yet)
>

> What hardware revision is your HVR-950Q ?
> (the sticker on it should say, as will the tveeprom logs in syslog).

I have the B4F0.

> I have revision B3F0 versions here which work very well for ATSC (no cable here).
> But the newer B4F0 versions appear to expose a race condition between
> the various kernel modules which drive portions of the device.
>
> The B4F0 ones (in most but not all systems here) don't work after
> initial bootup.  They can be made to work though, by stopping mythbackend,
> unplugging and then replugging the device, and then restarting mythbackend.
>
> Does any of that help you there?

I think that might explain my issues.  If the usb card is working
inconsistently, the scanning results will be inconsistent.  In
addition to restarting mythbackend and reseating the device, I was
able to find a workaround here:
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-January/279912.html

Also found the driver developer who may have a patch in the works here:
http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?p=1623

Last night I was able to get the USB tuner to do OTA ATSC.  So at this
point I am going to try using the 1600 for clearQAM and see what
happens.

I will experiment more and see what happens.  I will report back to
the list if I when I make progress.

Thanks for your help Mark.

Andrew