[mythtv-users] Picking the best signal strength (DVB-T and DVB-T2, UK)

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Sun Dec 4 12:04:31 UTC 2011

Hi List

Background: I'm in the UK, Forest of Dean, nearest transmitter Ridge Hill
(about 21.5Km away).

If I carry out a scan, I get the usual unique and duplicate channels
found, and I add them all. I will then find that I have, for example, two
"BBC HD" channels. I suspect they are from different transmitters, but how
can I tell which is the strongest signal?

What I used to do: I used to edit the dtv_multiplex table and remove all
the entries with frequencies that were not listed at
http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SO630333 (ie, those from Ridge Hill).
I'd then remove any entries in the channel table that referred to the
now-deleted mplexid entries.

I've recently added an HD receiver (PCTV Nanostick 290e). According to
the URL above, the Ridge Hill transmitter uses 482.2MHz for the mux with
the HD channels on. However, I find that a) I have two entries for each for
the four HD channels and b) the dtv_multiplex table doesn't include the
frequency 482.2MHz.

So I'm confused. I think what I want is to only receive stations from the
Ridge Hill transmitter, but I don't understand why the HD mux frequency
isn't in the dtv_multiplex table.

Bottom line: what's the best way to ensure that each and every channel is
being received from only the strongest signal?

Thanks for any help.
--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?