[mythtv-users] OT: 120hz?

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Sat Dec 3 11:53:17 UTC 2011

On 3 Dec 2011, at 02:11, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Not Myth specific but I can't think of a better group to ask this question:
>>>
>>> I just picked up a Sharp Aquos tv, capable of 1080p @ 120hz. My MythTV FE
>>> has an integrated GeForce 9300 and is connected via VGA, but the settings
>>> won't let me go over 60hz. Is it possible to go higher on the refresh? The
>>> motherboard has an HDMI port - I've never used HDMI out on a PC before, but
>>> if that's what it takes I'm willing to give it a shot.
>>
>> As far as I know most, if not all, manufactures don't accept more that
>> 60Hz. The 120/240/+++Hz is the internal refresh rate, not that rate it
>> accepts a signal.
>
> That's right.  The reason for buying a 120Hz set is not to show 120Hz
> content, but to be able to show both 30Hz and 24Hz content smoothly.
> On a 60Hz set, with native 24 Hz content, it shows alternate frames
> for 2 then 3 refreshes.  With a 120Hz set, it can show each frame
> exactly 5 times, leading to smoother motion.  For 48Hz content (just
> starting to rise in popularity) you need a 240 Hz set.

And to cover European rates 25 & 50 as well you need 600hz :-)

There are 120hz properly capable displays starting to be available, usually for 3D and most often only at 720p resolution, I'm hoping to get one in the new year and interested to see what can be achieved with it. I know that just for desktop use 100hz on my old CRT was great so a 120hz capable LCD should be really smooth and pleasant to use.

I saw that (I think) Viewsonic have recently launched a 3D LCD that can accept a native 1080p120 signal, previous ones were 1080p60 or 720p120.

Andre