[mythtv-users] Newbie

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Dec 2 21:45:45 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Gavin Whitehead
<gavin at alabastercranium.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Don't raid or stripe your recording disks together, you'll get better
>> performance with individual disks.
>
> I'm in the process of building a MythTV combined FE/BE and I had thought
> to put in 2 x 2TB SATA disks for the recordings and video/music
> library.  I was going to use RAID1 (mirror) so that a single disk
> failure didn't mean I loose all my recordings and ripped videos/music.
>
> But you seem to be advising against this approach.  How do you protect
> against data lose if not via RAID?

He said performance, not reliability.

Your choices are either backup or prayer.  For mythTV recordings, I
just keep my fingers crossed.  I lost a recording drive once.  The
world didn't end.

I'd rather have twice the recording space with moderate risk rather
than half the recording space with reduced risk.

Eric