[mythtv-users] MythTV Companion for iPad Update

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 20:12:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 3:30 AM, Jos Hoekstra <joshoekstra at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Op 14-11-2011 16:15, Robert McNamara schreef:
>> > The clever use of limited bandwidth is of moderate importance now, but
>> > also think about the (hopefully near) future where you'll also be live
>> > transcoding and streaming content to the iPad... you'll want that
>> > bandwidth for that. :)
>> >
>> > Robert
>> >
>> AFAICT the API hasn't been extended for that yet? For me that would be a
>> real nice addition. I'm currently using plex to make my recordings
>> available to my Android-tablet, which works fine on the video-delivery,
>> not so much on metadata because I'm in Holland.
>> Being able to use a native mythtv-client, would make several people very
>> happy :)
>>
>> Keep up the good work :)
>>

> Another little update for those with an interest, addressing the above
> question :)
>
> http://vimeo.com/33007761
>
> Owners of Atom backends should probably not watch. ;)

Very cool. I notice it takes some time to "spin up" the stream. Is that
something that can be sped up as the app matures? What's the bottleneck? I
assume the Mythtv box is what's doing the transcoding before sending the
stream to the iPad; is it just a matter of CPU power on that end?