[mythtv-users] mythpreviewgen using 100% cpu

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 14:24:11 UTC 2011

2011/12/2 Greg Grotsky <spikeygg.mythbox at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:51 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>>
>> I had this happen to me one time (that I know of) under 0.24. I saw
>> the process was running at 100%, and when I looked at the output from
>> ps, the process had been running for 2 weeks (presumably at 100% that
>> whole time). In my case, I'm not using an HD-PVR. Only a Ceton and a
>> HDHomerun (which is configured, but doesn't actually get used
>> anymore). Only saw it that one time, so I figured it's just a fluke
>> and didn't think much of it.
>>

> I have an HD Homerun setup (and a single pcHDTV HD-3000 card).
>
> What you describe Ron is exactly what I have experienced.  About three times
> now I've noticed that my CPU usage was at 100% due to mythpreviewgen and the
> machine was not recording, nor transcoding anything (and hadn't for some
> time).  The process was started days ago.  I don't know what that code does
> but it appears to get stuck on some recordings and hangs consuming cpu
> cycles.
>
> Thanks,
> -Greg

Hello, I checked it lot of time and ALWAYS that there is a program
change on the guide, there is a 100% CPU usage with mythpreviewgen
process, it takes 2-3 seconds and then disappear, but it stop the
LiveTV. This is really annoying problem. It occurs for me on LiveTV.

I am not an expert, I think that it is related to the preview image
generation. Hope some developer will fix soon. This is the biggest
problem that I have with MythTV.

I have same problem on two Nvidia ION board FE/BE boxes.

Best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano