[mythtv-users] What is everyone using for IR Receivers ?

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Wed Aug 31 20:41:12 UTC 2011

Tom Bongiorno wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com
>
>     I use these on my 3 front end boxes.  Can pretty much point my
>     transmitter anywhere in the room
>
>     http://www.amazon.com/Dell-RC6-Receiver-Microsoft-receivers/dp/B0031YBF9M

This is the one which came with my Elonex Artisan mediacenter I bought
on Ebay a few years ago. Mine is Microsoft branded though. But $25 is
quite expensive considering it doesn't come with a remote control.

> Brent, what are the dimensions of the receiver?  Also, did you follow
> this page to set it up?  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote

The receiver is quite "big" (about 8x6x2cm), but on the upside it has a
very long cable (~2m).

Can't remember which Howto I followed, but I surely didn't need to
install lirc manually. Lirc from the Ubuntu 10.04 repos works without
problems.