[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase problems

Dan Wilson dwilson at solidstatesoftware.com
Wed Aug 31 18:44:08 UTC 2011

On 08/31/2011 12:47 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/31/2011 12:19 PM, Dan Wilson wrote:
>> I recently moved my mythtv setup from Time-Warner cable to Dish Network
>> (we moved out into the country).
> Is this using an Internet connection through a satellite provider, too?
No, internet connection is broadband via cable tv company. Their lineup
didn't include channels that were deal-breakers for my wife, and Dish
had them, so we got internet from cable company and TV from dish.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/486663#486663
> perhaps? (Only if you're using ext4 for the file system that holds the
> mysql database data--likely your root file system.)

I was using ext4 on the database file system. I moved
/var/lib/mysql/mythconverg to an ext3 partition and ran the test again.
Same result as before.

So I added barrier=0 to the fstab entry for the ext3 filesystem and
remounted that partition, then re-ran the test. Same result. I'm going
to move the database back to /var/lib/mysql for now, although I think
I'll order an SSD drive for it since I seem to be more I/O bound on the
database now than I used to be.

It almost seems as if mythfilldatabase gets stuck. When it times-out, it
is always between 200k-300k into the transfer, everything seems to be
working to that point, and then the disk i/o just stops. I don't see any
indication that anything is downloading or that any processing is
occurring. I ran "top", and before the failure point, mysqld and
mythfilldatabase are always at the top of the process list. Once it gets
stuck, they vanish.

Thanks for your help,

Dan.