[mythtv-users] What is everyone using for IR Receivers ?

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 17:55:06 UTC 2011

On 31 August 2011 16:16, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > the IRMON panels interest me; should be able to pickup one for a few beer
> > tokens. fine if you just need one or 2, but by the sounds of it, it could
> > get expensive in your case.
>
> Do you mean IMON? If so, I'd think carefully. As far as the display,
> the VFD version might be alright (never seen it), but the LCD version
> (which is what I typically see most places) is horrible. The contrast
> on it is so terrible, it's unreadable from typical viewing distances.
> Second, the IR receiver only works with MCE remotes. Most of the
> remotes I own won't work with it.
>

> interesting and thanks for that info.
tbh, i use the Logitech Harmony remote, which i believe are IMON compatible,
so IR transmitter compatibility isnt much of an issue.

VFD would be what i'd go for anyway; it would blend in nicely with my Onkyo
AVR display.

as i mention in my previous post, current LIRC/TBS on the later
kernels/distros is broken, so i am planning to replace my MCEUSB kit with
something that would work. it's only 2 FE's, so cost is next to nothing.
that obviously depends on what happens between now and mythtv pre-requisite
of a kernel newer than mythbuntu 10.10.