[mythtv-users] How to set MythTV locale

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 08:13:39 UTC 2011

> My guess is that your backend is being started by init scripts.  It may be
> that the init scripts are setting up your environment differently than you
> would expect, and not loading the same environmental variables as the login
> shell.  In any case, running servers as root is considered by most to be a
> "bad thing", and you should looking into reworking the init script to run
> as user 'mythtv' as well.

Correct.  I'm running Fedora 14.  I'll have a look at the init scripts tonight.

>  In any case, running servers as root is considered by most to be a
> "bad thing", and you should looking into reworking the init script to run
> as user 'mythtv' as well.

I'd agree with that, but default installs seem to "encourage" running
the backend as root.  With my last build (from rpms) I did go through
the exercise of making it run as the "mythtv" user.  As far as I
remember I just had to create some udev rules to set permissions on
the sound and capture devices.  I may get around to that at some point
but I've got a few other things to sort out first.

> Those settings are only applied if they're not already set in the
> database--they're locale defaults for new databases/hosts.  Because you
> created your database/configured your host before we had locale
> defaults, you didn't get the locale-appropriate value.

That makes sense.  I forgot to mention that before I restored my 0.21
database I seem to recall that the new 0.25 system was using "Subtitle
then Description" as its default.

> So, you'll need to edit the value--just go into MythWeb's settings
> editor and change the data for the value with the name David E.
> mentioned in his post.

I presume you mean this post?

> Second, the default duplicate detection method is controlled by your
> locale setting.  Search for "prefDupMethod" in the locales/en_gb.xml
> file and copy that to the equivalent file for your chosen locale.

So I could edit en_us.xml but I'd rather get the locale set to GB.

In mythweb's settings I can't see fields for either "locale" or
"prefDupMethod".  Am I doing something wrong?

I would be able to poke around in the database and change stuff, but
if there's a better way they I'd rather use it.

If I find prefDupMethod in the database and change it that still won't
set the GB locale, so I'm hoping there's a "locale" setting too.

Thanks to those who replied.