[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime SF Bay Area

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 30 14:17:48 UTC 2011

On 08/23/2011 10:45 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:
>> I then created a new video source and attached it to my HD-PVR (yes,
>> bear with me).  Because Myth presumes that the HDHR needs scanning,
>> Fetch Channels From Listing Source is greyed out.  I'll see what I can
>> do about this in the next few days.  For HDHR Primes, this logic
>> should actually be inverted.  So, I attached the empty lineup to my
>> HD-PVR and hit fetch channels from listing source.  I then detached
>> the lineup from my HD-PVR and attached it to the three tuners of the
>> HDHR Prime.
> Just to elaborate on this point a bit, as I discovered when helping
> some other prime users
>
> 1) If you don't have an HD-PVR recorder to assign it to, you can just
> create a new recorder temporarily, do the assigned + fetch, unassign,
> then delete the fake recorder. And the type of recorder doesn't have
> to be HD-PVR. In case you have myth compiled without HD-PVR support, I
> believe the import recorder and demo recorder options will also let
> you do the same (at least in 0.24....I didn't look at the code in
> trunk)
>
> 2) it's not only important that your video source be assigned to the
> HD-PVR (or import or demo) recorder, but also that it NOT be assigned
> to ANY OTHER RECORDERS. The reason is, when mythfilldatabase looks up
> the video source configuration, if that video source is connected to
> multiple recorders, it just grabs the first one it finds. If the first
> one it finds happens to be something that requires scanning (like the
> HDHR), then it will not setup the channels for you.

Another, possibly easier (though /far/ less intuitive), approach you can
use is to manually run a fetch.  Once you've created the (empty--without
any channels--and not connected to any inputs) video source, go to a
terminal and run:

mythfilldatabase --sourceid <number> --do-channel-updates \
                  --only-update-channels --do-not-filter-new-channels

making sure to change <number> to the source ID number of the brand new
source.  In the simplest case--when this is the first video source
you've ever created (or right after a "Delete all video sources")--the
source ID will be 1.  The next source ID will be 2 and so on.

Then, just restart mythtv-setup and continue the configuration.

Mike