[mythtv-users] Recording plays horribly in myth, fine in mplayer

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 02:07:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:
> Apologies for top quote.
>
> I captured this video with the iptv recorder in myth. This channel plays
> fine on the vendor supplied stb and in mplayer. I understand your point that
> it may not be a fully conformant stream, but nothing I can do short of
> becoming a billionaire and buying transact would fix it, and given other
> apps play it without issue, including a Linux app that shares some code
> roots with myth, I was hoping it could be fixed in myth.

Except mplayer doesn't, exactly.  mplayer has its own mpeg-2 demuxer,
versus VLC, which uses the same MPEG-2 demuxer from ffmpeg that Myth
does-- and VLC doesn't demux it.

It's therefore probable that the issue lies in the MPEG-TS demuxer in
ffmpeg.  Not absolute, but a pretty likely place to start looking.

How ffplay (part of ffmpeg) plays the file would be likewise
enlightening.  It would need to be the same or close revision.

Robert