[mythtv-users] HD-PVR recordings oversaturated

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 29 17:20:13 UTC 2011

On 08/29/2011 11:26 AM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:

>>> It seems like Myth must be setting the hd-pvr to a default state after
>>> running the channel change script.
> That's an excellent kludge, thanks for the idea.  I'll try that out tonight
> and hopefully that'll last until I'm able to find older firmware or
> otherwise figure out why this started happening.
>
> Janne, Jarod, or anyone who's familiar with the driver, any ideas?  Is there
> a potential kernel incompatibility with the firmware?  I wanted to save
> doing a full system update as a last resort since things are otherwise
> pretty stable.

I'm definitely not "anyone who's familiar with the driver", but I will
say that for other analog encoders (such as the IVTV devices), MythTV
always sets the contrast, brightness, color (or colour, as the case may
be), and hue according to the values you specified--which all start at
default values.

You can change the default values by using G in Live TV playback to set
the capture card picture controls.  Note that this will not work on a
digital capture device (DVB/ATSC/QAM/Firewire/...) because those aren't
actually recording the video, but just writing the provided recorded
video stream.

Using G to set the capture card picture controls differs from using F to
set the playback picture controls.  F is used in Live TV or recording
playback to change the contrast, brightness, color, and hue at
playback--and affects playback of all recordings and videos, regardless
of channel and capture device.  Note, also, there's a per-channel
picture control available, in which you can specify contrast,
brightness, color, and hue for individual channels using the
mythtv-setup or MythWeb channel editor.  You also don't want
this--especially if you have, for example, an IVTV card recording from
the same channel.

I don't know if this applied to HD-PVR, but before you go and set up a
hack, try G--and then tell all the others who are using the hacks if it
works properly for the HD-PVR.  :)

Mike