[mythtv-users] HD-PVR recordings oversaturated

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 15:26:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Andrew Stadt <acstadt at stadt.ca> wrote:

> On 29/08/2011 12:56 AM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com
> > <mailto:jerrymr at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:28 PM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com
> >     <mailto:jerrymr at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >         I just upgraded the firmware on my HD-PVR from version 0x12
> >         May 7, 2009 to the latest from the Hauppauge web site, 0x17
> >         July 27, 2011.  Now all recordings from the HD-PVR are way
> >         oversaturated.  Catting /dev/video0 and playing the file with
> >         vlc yields the same result.  According to v4l2-ctl -l, the
> >         settings are all at defaults.  Any ideas what the problem
> >         could be?
> >
> >         Kern.log says "untested firmware, the driver might not work".
> >          That's a little scary.  Any way to obtain and install a
> >         previous firmware version?
> >
> >         -Jerry
> >

> >     I tried adjusting the brightness and contrast in the channel
> >     change script, via:
> >
> >     /usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0 --set-ctrl=brightness=100
> >
> >     But it seems to have no effect.  I can use the same command during
> >     a recording from the command line and see it effect the
> >     brightness.  It appears that when the recording starts, these
> >     HD-PVR settings get reset to defaults.
> >
> >     I'm running 0.24.1-fixes, btw.
> >

> > And a 2.6.38-10 kernel.
> >
> > It seems like Myth must be setting the hd-pvr to a default state after
> > running the channel change script.  Or for some reason the v4l2-ctl
> > lines aren't having an effect when run inside the script.  Is there
> > any other point when a recording starts, besides the channel change
> > script, to run a script?  If so, and if there is another script point,
> > at least I could have a workaround to adjust the picture adequately
> > until I found a real fix.
> >
> > -Jerry
> >
> An ugly gludge I used once for a PVR150 with audio issues simply
> involved spawning another script from inside the channel change script.
> The 2nd script would sleep for a couple secs, while myth did its post
> channel change processing, then reset the audio channel via v4l2-ctl.
> Might work here, YMMV.

That's an excellent kludge, thanks for the idea.  I'll try that out tonight
and hopefully that'll last until I'm able to find older firmware or
otherwise figure out why this started happening.

Janne, Jarod, or anyone who's familiar with the driver, any ideas?  Is there
a potential kernel incompatibility with the firmware?  I wanted to save
doing a full system update as a last resort since things are otherwise
pretty stable.

-Jerry