[mythtv-users] Network affecting standalone mbe/fe?

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Mon Aug 29 00:02:01 UTC 2011

I have a kludged home network pieced together with a DSL modem, hardware
firewall, and a couple switches.
Those bits are rather heat sensitive and tend to puke whenever room temp
gets up there.

I'm trying to figure out how/why the network going away can stop MythTV
from connecting to the backend/DB.

It's all on the same machine?!

Lately I've been coming home to a locked up MythTV box. No video, no ssh
access, nada.
This weekend I was able to catch it in the act...

When the "Can't connect to backend" message pops up, I reboot the
modem/firewall/switches. After a few seconds the message goes away on
its own. Myth resumes functioning normally.

I'm contemplating unplugging it from the network because this normally
occurs during the day while I am away, and nothing gets recorded until I
  fix it in the evening.
Ok, I'm contemplating getting some new network hardware and/or finding a
way to cool it. All it takes is $$$...

(OT for this forum but coincidentally, when the network goes wonky,
aside from breaking the connection between the be/fe on the mythbox it
reboots the other Ubuntu box on the network, if it is on. I was able to
see it happen this weekend. How could the network crash a machine?)

ct at dapperpvr:~$ mythbackend --version
MythTV Version   : 26231
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-23-fixes
Network Protocol : 23056
Library API      : 0.23.1.201000710-1
QT Version       : 4.6.2
Ubuntu 10.04