[mythtv-users] can recording rules be edited?

blind_Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 05:02:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, David Engel wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 04:19:54PM +1000, blind_Pete wrote:
> > Is it possible to edit a pre-existing rule such as, "find weekly
> > from 10pm Wednesday /the movie show/ on any channel"?  (And if it is
> > possible, how?)  Things would work better with "find in the six and
> > a half day window starting on Wednesday evening".  Alternatively, I
> > could stop using all exiting rules and create all new custom rules,
> > but that seems like doing things the hard way.
> >
> > The problem is that some "regular" programs move by a little bit
> > from day to day or week to week, and if the find rule knows that it
> > recorded an episode only 6 days 23 hours and 59 minutes ago it
> > thinks that it has this week's episode and doesn't bother with the
> > first showing.  It will probably catch a repeat, but it does leave
> > the poor human saying, "what?".
>
> record.findtime and record.finddate control when the day and week
> start for find rules.  The values default to midnight and the current
> date for search fules.  Ther were intentionally not made visible in
> mythtfrontend to keep things simple.  However, I believe they are
> visible and editable in mythweb.

I got as far as making Apache display, "It works!".  But I've edited
/var/www/html/index.html so that it should show, "It works! maybe".
That is the wrong file, or there is some caching, or I just don't
know what I am doing.  :-(

It is time to have a go at custom rules.

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 07:51:02AM -0400, George Nassas wrote:
> > On 2011-08-25, at 7:06 AM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> >
> > > I'm actually trying pretty hard to think of a case where one-each-week
> > > would be appropriate, but I'm having a hard time
> >
> > It's appropriate when there's only ever a generic description. One
> > topical show I record doesn't decide its programme until a few hours
> > before airtime so there's no schedule description way to tell which
> > two of the three daily showings are repeats.
>
> This is exactly why the find daily and find weekly rules were created.
>
> David

Some of the shows that I watch have unchanging generic descriptions,
others change.  Choosing the appropriate rule is non-trivial.  Sometimes
the primitive idea of, record this channel from this time for this
duration seems desirable.

Thanks everyone.