[mythtv-users] Boxee Box for $169 has got me thinking

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Fri Aug 26 19:12:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 14:10 -0400, "Matt Emmott"
<memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

Neat, I found the project page at
[1]https://github.com/ear9mrn/MythRokuPlayer  and detailed
instructions in the middle of
[2]http://www.fta-heaven.com/forums/showthread.php?312-Roku-Playe
r-Private-Channel-Codes
I didn't know that you could force mythweb to push mp4 files,
although it does stink that you'd have to transcode everything to
mp4 after recording.  Personally I'd use mythexport to export
copies of shows to a podcast server and subscribe to the rss
feeds instead.

Actually, rshendershot 's github is a bit more up-to-date.  It is
true, you have to transcode to mp4, but the way I look at it is
that the machine would have been wasting power anyway, and this
way I save a lot more disk space :)  I have two scripts, one
called mythrokuencode and mythrokunocommencode (that's myth roku
no commercials encode in English), and I have them set to run on
most, but not all of my recordings.  I don't allow more than one
user job at a time, and I don't allow user jobs from 4-11pm
(figured I would need my computer the most then, or at least that
would be when I am more likely to be recording two or more things
at once).

The space savings is incredible (at the expense of some image
quality (hardly to my eyes) and processor time).

If I watch it before it transcodes, no problem, as I delete it
and it is gone.  However, if it hangs overnight, then I obviously
didn't mind waiting and I let it go and transcode for me.  Any of
the rerun daily shows get this treatment (Simpsons, etc.).
Actually, just about everything except where there is a live
element gets that treatment.

On my computer, the transcode speed (single core!) is about
12-15fps on a good day, and since most of the time I let myth
lossless transcode the commercials out, that saves time as well
as the average 1hr show is only 42mins.  Why transcode what I
won't watch anyway :)
--
Kris B.
[3]krisbee at krisbee.com