[mythtv-users] First Impressions: Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 14:45:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If I'm in a cable market which uses the Cisco Tuning Adapter (SDV)
>> that only supports 2 tuners, why would I still consider the HDHR Prime
>> over this new Hauppauge device?  Price/tuner is cheaper as well.
>>
>> /Brian/
>
> The Hauppauge version of the device does not appear to support SDV as
> far as I can tell (though there's always the chance that their
> software can control the tuning adapter independently on another USB
> port).  There's no mention of SDV in the manual and the device has no
> Tuning Adapter port.
>
> Robert

The FCC mandated that all TAs support four tuners as of some date that
I can't seem to find, but I know it was close to the required self
install date of 8/1/11.  This means that all the CC tuners on the
market should be fully functional with a TA in the near future if not
already.  People have been reporting 4-tuner firmware updates showing
up on their TA automatically and without warning.

If I remember correctly, CableLabs certification requires TA
compatibility, but I could be wrong.  Also, both Ceton products and
presumably the Hauppauge tuner require you to run something on the PC
the control the TA.  This is one advantage of the SD HDHR PRIME.

-Tom