[mythtv-users] can recording rules be edited?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Aug 25 11:06:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:19 AM, blind_Pete <0123peter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it possible to edit a pre-existing rule such as, "find weekly from
> 10pm Wednesday /the movie show/ on any channel"?  (And if it is
> possible, how?)  Things would work better with "find in the six and
> a half day window starting on Wednesday evening".  Alternatively,
> I could stop using all exiting rules and create all new custom rules,
> but that seems like doing things the hard way.
>
> The problem is that some "regular" programs move by a little bit from
> day to day or week to week, and if the find rule knows that it recorded
> an episode only 6 days 23 hours and 59 minutes ago it thinks that it
> has this week's episode and doesn't bother with the first showing.  It
> will probably catch a repeat, but it does leave the poor human saying,
> "what?".

Sounds like you are using the wrong type of rule for the job. Chances
are you do NOT want to use a find-one-each-week rule. Yes, I know your
program is only one once each week, but it's still the wrong choice.
You mostly likely want to use record-any-time or
record-any-time-on-this-channel, and then probably also add in the
duplicate check for new-episodes-only (unless you are trying to catch
up by recording reruns you never saw)

I'm actually trying pretty hard to think of a case where one-each-week
would be appropriate, but I'm having a hard time. Every time I come up
with idea, I realize there's a better way to do it. I suspect most
people that use that rule type are using it incorrectly like you. They
probably don't realize it because as long as the schedule remains
pretty stable, it works quite well.

--
Ron Frazier