[mythtv-users] Video Distribution [was Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?]

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 23:19:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 09:59 -0400, Brian Long wrote:
> I know a few people who use the Monoprice 4x4 Matrix HDMI switch (with
> Cat5e/6 extenders) to distribute HD signals throughout their home.  An
> example might be a game console (i.e. PS3, XBox 360) sitting in a
> living room, but able to use it as a Netflix player on up to 3 other
> TVs throughout the home.  This relies on two Cat5e/6 runs to each
> room.  One person I know centrally locates his DVRs (one DVR per
> person in the household), but each one is attached to the matrix
> switch.  Each person can then watch their content on any of 4 TVs by
> selecting the appropriate DVR+TV combination on the matrix switch.
>
> The monoprice one is currently out of stock but this is what I know works:
> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011301&p_id=8151&seq=1&format=2

That is great, but wiring is a serious problem in our house.  It was
built in 2008, no expenses bared but the owner was an idiot.

He liked cable.  Most TV locations have a single coax feed and that is
it.  Some locations have Cat5.  Some obvious TV locations have no feeds
whatsoever.

The only way for me to get content to all the TV locations is to rely on
the existing Cat5 outlets in conjunction with wireless, using 1 network
only for media content and another network for computer data.

There are even worse problems going beyond TVs.   The projector was
wired with a component feed.  There is no way to get HDMI to it short of
ripping out the drywall ceiling.

And don't get me started on the audio system.

I'm hoping that Linux in various incarnations is going to fix all these
issues for me.