[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Aug 23 19:30:15 UTC 2011

On 8/23/2011 14:27, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 11-08-23 01:55 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>> I would suggest not speaking to legal issues, in particular when you
>> appear to be poorly informed.  Format shifting has been shown numerous
>> times to not be applicable to DVDs due to the DMCA rules related to
>> DRM (which don't apply to CDs since there was no DRM involved).
> I'm glad you brought this up.  It seems that every time somebody wants
> to discuss something like CAMs and whatnot (even when just to access
> something they are already paying for) they are very quickly quashed due
> to the legal issues around it but nobody seems to jump on anyone for
> discussions of DVD ripping, which, given the DMCA implications appears
> to be just as illegal.

There are two issues in play here.  First, DVDs are something that you
have purchased and own.  There are clauses in the DMCA for unauthorized
decryption on the part of the owner for the purposes of compatibility.
This puts DVD ripping on the part of the consumer in a bit of a gray
area between seemingly conflicting clauses.  It remains gray as it is
yet untested in court, and it will likely remain untested for fear of
losing the case and overturning protection of the DMCA.  Distributing
software to perform such decryption has been tested, and ruled unlawful
(see RealNetworks vs. DVD CCA), which is why MythTV does not offer
decryption.  It will hook into libraries if provided by the system, but
that is walking a fine line.

On the opposite side, stuff like Netflix and encrypted satellite/cable
are services.  The user owns nothing.  Accessing your service's network
through a method outside those stipulated in your services contract is a
breach of contract.  Since you are merely buying a service, your rights
only go so far as explicitly stated in that contract, and MythTV will
not assist in measures that only exist to violate the contract.  Now you
may exist in a country where your television provider specifically
allows the use of softcams, but you happen to be the rarity in the case
that loses out.

The second issue, is one of intent.  The vast majority of people ripping
DVDs are doing so against their own legally purchased media library.
Sure, there are users who rent content from Blockbuster or Netflix or
Redbox and illegally duplicate it, but they are rare.  Surely no one
could be so ignorant as to think that is actually legal, and since
they're fine with illegal copyright violations, they are far more likely
to just take the easy route and download it.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of people using softcams are doing so to
illegally access satellite networks.  People actually wanting to use
them to access services they are paying for are far and few between.
It's the same issue as bittorrent.  There is nothing bad about the
technology itself, and it can be used for good reasons, but there is no
sense supporting something for that small percent of users who are going
to use it legally.

Call it a double standard if you want, but the fact is that is the
stance we have decided to take as a project.  We will go thus far in
enabling legitimate fair use and no further.  We simply ask that you
respect the decisions of this project, and take discussion of the
contrary to other forums.