[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Aug 23 18:10:07 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Devin Heitmueller" <dheitmueller at kernellabs.com>

> > Well, I'm pretty sure the 1999 Diamond Rio MP3 format shifting case
> > covers ripping your DVDs for private one-at-a-time use, so I can't see
> > why you couldn't do *that* with your BDs as well, diskspace
> > permitting.
>
> I would suggest not speaking to legal issues, in particular when you
> appear to be poorly informed. Format shifting has been shown numerous
> times to not be applicable to DVDs due to the DMCA rules related to
> DRM (which don't apply to CDs since there was no DRM involved).

In fact you're correct; I cited the wrong case.  I meant to cite the
Kaleidascape DVD jukebox DMCA case, which speaks directly to whether
it's acceptable to rip DVDs (theoretically violating DMCA) for
non-infringing uses.

> Speculation like this just creates additional confusion amongst users,
> and this isn't really the forum for it.

Well, it's not my forum, but it certainly seems to be a topic of interest
to the people who are *on* this forum, repeatedly.  Whoever's forum it
*is* really ought to take judicial note of that; the results of ignoring
it, on the internet, over the last 30 years, haven't been especially
productive.

Cheers,
-- jra