[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Aug 23 16:44:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> In the original poster's first 3 posts, he specifically said:
>
> 1) "A Blu Ray DVD player that acts as a Netflix client ? (capture the
> feed with a HD-PVR device ?"

Yes, but now who is guilty of cropping out the important context. In
the OP he said:

> I'd like to have Netflix content available on my Myth system.
>
> What is the best way to achieve this ?

So he was only talking about on the system. It doesn't necessarily
state that it has to be done right inside myth. And even if it were
"inside" myth, having a myth menu option launch some external process
would also fit the broad request he outlined. He THEN want on to ask
about possible solutions (the part you quoted)? So to summarize what I
think he posted, he said "I'd like to do X. Would Y be a good way to
do it?" and then you went on to tell him to not bother with X, because
you think Y is a bad solution.

> 2) "I need to "capture" the Netflix stream so that I can distribute it
> to the TVs around the house. "

Yeah, and notice he put "capture" in quotes? So he didn't necessarily
mean he had to capture it in a myth recording.

> 3) "FWIW, I bought a Samsung 6500 DVD player with the Smart Hub features
> , ie it will connect to the Internet wirelessly and play Netflix
> content. ... I bought it with the intent to pair it with a HD-PVR and
> thus be able to capture the output from it when playing Netflix or DVDs. "

Except that this bit of info was not posted until after you already
began shooting down the idea. But whatever. You've bowed out, so let's
just call it all a big misunderstanding or something and move on.

--
Ron Frazier