[mythtv-users] Driving a PAL tv using Intel graphics

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Tue Aug 23 09:45:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> On 22/08/2011 23:08, mlt at etruscott.co.uk wrote:
>> I have just updated my motherboard+cpu to a sandy bridge combo, which is
>> nice and quiet and low powered.
>>
>> however, at present i still have a SD crt TV; at present i am using a
>> cheapo vga to s-video dongle thing that is pretty rubbish.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a better way than this?  I have a vga and  dvi
>> connector so is there a solution that could use either of those?  I had
>> wondered about the apple dvi-s-video connector does this work for linux
>> or is there a way of getting the graphics to drive a pal-tv directly?
>
> My first experiences of MythTV was use with an SD CRT. I was
> disappointed with the results until I discovered this:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/RGB_Scart. No good to you if
> your TV doesn't have a SCART socket, but great if it does.

I'm a sometime contributor to that page, and I've been using Steve Hall's
'Nvidia cable' it documents since 2006. Works really well, providing your
video card can output a 15.625kHz signal.

If you don't fancy building one yourself (I think all my parts, including a
case and some stripboard, cost about £15 from Maplin), Keene sell something
similar:
<http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/keene-sync-thingy-rgbhv-sync-transcoder/KST1.html>

> Paul.

HTH,