[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 23 04:40:09 UTC 2011

On 08/22/2011 06:34 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> it makes no sense to hook up a set-top-box Netflix player

... [to a MythTV backend to record its output] ...

>>   to play a Netflix stream.
> So if I have 3 TVs in my house, and I have 1 device capable of
> streaming netflix to my TV, it doesn't make any sense to want to use
> that one device on my choice of the 3 TVs? The only option that makes
> sense is to dish out a few hundred dollars extra and have one hooked
> up to each TV? Granted, it may not be easy or pretty, or may not
> conform to the ToS, but to suggest it doesn't make any sense to want
> to do it?

OK, trimming is good, but when you trim out the entire point of my post,
it's not so good.  My post (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/489693#489693 ) was
simply saying that one should use the right tool for the job--and MythTV
is not the right tool for streaming Netflix content around your house.

Do you hook up your BluRay player or DVD player or game console to a
MythTV capture device and use that to allow you to watch a BluRay from
any room in the house or play PS3 from any room in the house?  No, you
buy a device for where you want to use it or you use the TV where the
device is connected.

I /seriously/ have no idea what you all want me to say.  MythTV
recording is /not/ the right tool for the job--and I don't think anyone
who has ever spent one minute trying to use a user interface through
MythTV recordings would disagree.  Are you demanding that someone write
some new plugin to replicate PlayOn's (ToS-questionable, at the least)
server?  Are you trying to prove I don't care about users?  Are you
trying to say that the MythTV project has lost its focus?  Are you just
trolling?

Again, hook up a Netflix-enabled device to an input on a
MythTV-connected analog capture device, set up a channel for it, and try
to use it.  Now, walk into a different room--away from the
Netflix-enabled device--and try to select a different Netflix show.  Now
think about how you're going to go about controlling the Netflix-enabled
device from another room.  Now think about how each time you use the
Netflix-enabled device to output to a MythTV capture device, you're
taking a MythTV capture device away from MythTV, which could mean that
you're missing recordings you really wanted just because you didn't want
to buy an extra $59.99 (MRSP, likely cheaper at retailers) Roku 2?
Then, tell me exactly where I'm wrong in saying using MythTV to record
the device's output for distribution around the house is a bad approach.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go sharpen a pair of scissors so I
can mow the lawn tomorrow.

Mike